What is oil pulling? It’s an ancient Ayurvedic practice that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth for twenty minutes. I suggest using unrefined and cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil or sesame seed oil. Sunflower seed oil has been suggested as a good oil for pulling but since I have not personally tried it, I’m not comfortable recommending it. This practice works best first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The goal is to draw toxins out of your mouth to enhance your dental health. When you enhance your dental health, you enhance the overall health of your body.
When combined with a clean eating lifestyle free of processed food, refined sugar, and gluten, here are some benefits you’ll experience when you incorporate this practice into your daily regimen.
- Healthy, glowing skin
- Reduced oral plaque and tartar which improves gum health which contributes to gingivitis
- Reduced oral bacteria like Streptococcus mutans which contributes to tooth decay
- Reduced oral candida which contributes to digestive system infections that impact the entire body
- Decreased occurrences of migraines and episodes
- Help with balancing hormones
- Increased energy and endurance
- Whiter teeth
- Enhanced immune system performance
- Reduced joint pain
- Contributes to relieving symptoms from allergies, most autoimmune disorders, ulcerative colitis, colitis, and diabetes
- Reduces the irritation of chronic skin problems like acne, eczema, and psoriasis
- Supports tissue repair and healing
These are just a few benefits. Do your research to learn more.
Peace and blessings!